Distress Oxide ft Altenew Peony Bouquet

I am quite a newbie in the card making game, so I am keen to try as many new techniques as possible, so here is a new one for me – Ink Smooshing

For today’s card I am using images from Altenew’s Peony Bouquet stamp set. It is one of the first stamp sets from Altenew and it is beautiful and is great for lots of different techniques.

I stamped all the outline images on to regular white card stock, with Memento Tuxedo black ink which is a dye ink and coloured them in using Coloursoft pencils from Derwent. I have the 36 set, so I sometimes have to blend colours to get the shades I want. To blend I use Zest-It blending solution, which has a nicer citrus smell rather than the strong smell of Gamsol.

For this card I used I chose to colour the flowers in shades of pink & purple. I coloured the leaves in greens with touches of brown blended in to give it more depth.

After everything was coloured in, I cut out the images with the coordinating dies. I used my Cuttlebug machine to die cut them out and set them aside. I used a Wink of Stella clear glitter pen to add a subtle shine.

Now to make my background panel.

I am experimenting with Distress Oxide from Tim Holtz at Ranger. I only have few colours but for this project I have chosen to use Fossilized Amber and Peacock Feathers, with regular Distress Ink in Spiced Marmalade.

Using a craft sheet, I put some ink of each colour down and sprayed with water. It reacts with the water to form droplets, and I put the card stock directly in to the ink and move it around to blend the colours. To build the layers of colour without blending, each layer must be dry before working on the next. When it dries the oxides give the surface a chalky, kind of suede feeling.

I used regular Spiced Marmalade Distress Ink, so that will react regardless. When I was happy I left it to dry and then trimmed it to fit on a black layering piece of 5 3/4 x 6 3/4.

I lay down an arrangement of how I wanted the ‘bouquet’ to look. When I was happy with it, I took a photo on my phone so I had a guide, to help me follow.

In the end I changed the the layout and I adhered the big flowers and some of the leaves with foam tape to give the card some dimension.

I was asked to make a card as a commission for someone to give to their sister.

So, to complete the card, I chose Altenew’s Family Matters and Family Matters extra, to make a unique sentiment. I used Versafine Black Onyx, to get a good impression.

I use Tombow mono adhesive to put the layers together, and then mounted everything on a 5×7″ card base.

Thanks for visiting today and I will be back soon with a new project.

Please share & comment!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.